Explosive data growth and IT complexity are driving many businesses to reevaluate their compliance policies and investigate new strategies for capacity management. How organizations handle this "big data" challenge has become a differentiating factor for corporate competitiveness, impacting every industry sector and business function.
CommVault helps its clients overcome the challenges of independently designing, planning, and building-out archive solutions. Because their unique business requirements for cost optimization, compliance and operational efficiency have been incorporated from the beginning, our clients rest assured knowing their data is safely protected.
Key Activities Conducted During Data Classification and Archive Policy Design
- Design and plan for centralized policies that dictate what information should be archived and how long it should be retained, usually according to the group or role of the data creator
- Identify candidate data for removal from source locations (data stubbing) to achieve capacity reduction and an overall reduction in storage related costs
- Manage legal preservation of candidate sampling data for eDiscovery purposes
- Assess readiness of existing infrastructure for current archive requirements. As necessary, create a site migration plan that comprehends data growth and flexibility.
- Create a migration plan for candidate data which considers bandwidth, data type, access time, last-modified time, retention policies and customer's business requirements
- Verify the solution aligns data types with an appropriate level of resiliency as defined by business requirements
- Evaluate compliance and archive strategy impacts on your disaster recovery environment